LXXXth Regiment of Light Armed Foot
Gage's Light Infantry
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second colour of
those regiments which are faced with red or white, is to be the red cross
of St. George in a white field, and the Union in the upper canton.
Colonel Thomas Gage raised the 80th Regiment of Light Armed Foot
in May of 1758. The regiment is best know for the fighting at Bernetz Brook on
July 6, 1758, just two days before the Battle of Ticonderoga. It was at Bernetz Brook
that the British Army suffered at great loss because of the death of Lord Howe.
Uniforms and Colours of the regiment shall remain a subject of speculation.
Some sources speculate that they carried no Colours at all. Thought as to their
uniforms seem to run the gamut as well; ranging from 'brown coats with brown
facings and black buttons' to 'light brown coats with white facings and flat
yellow buttons' to finally 'scarlet coats with orange facings and yellow buttons.'
The Colours, drum, and drummers uniform presented here are based on the
"light brown coats with white facings and yellow buttons;" thus, a white coat
with brown facings for the drummers. This would also indicate that the front of
the drums were white, and that the Colours be those of a regiment faced with white.
The 80th Regiment of Light Armed Foot was disbanded in Canada in 1764.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page