XXXIst Regiment of Foot
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second Colour to be
the colour of the facing of the regiment, with the Union in the upper
canton; except those regiments which are faced with red, white, or black.
The 31st was first raised in 1694 under Sir Richard Atkins
and placed on the Irish Establishment as Atkins' Regiment of Foot.
In 1696, the regiment came under the command of George Villier, and
was known as Villier's Regiment of Foot. Villier's Regiment of Foot
was disbanded in Ireland in 1698. The regiment was re-raised under
Villier in 1702; however, this time as Villier's Regiment of Marines.
The regiment was also known as the 2nd Regiment of Marines.
The regiment was reformed as a regiment of foot in 1715
and designated as the 31st Regiment of Foot in 1751.
The 31st Foot arrived in America in 1765 and was stationed in
Florida before being sent to the island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean.
The regiment suffered heavy losses due to disease and was eventually
transferred back to North America, arriving in Quebec in May of 1776.
The battalion companies of the regiment helped to garrison Quebec
during the American Revolution. The regiment's Grenadier and
Light Infantry companies served under General John Burgoyne
during the Canadian Campaign, and were with the force
that surrendered at Saratoga on September 19, 1777.
These companies remained imprisoned until re-joining the
regiment in 1781. The regiment returned home in 1787.
The 31st Regiment of Foot was granted the county title
of the Huntingdonshire Regiment in 1782.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page