Being one of the "Old Corps" the XXVIIth Regiment was;
Allowed to wear, in the center of their colours, a castle with three turrets;
St. George's colours flying, in a blue field; and the name Inniskilling over it.
The 27th Foot was first raised to defend the Irish town of Inniskilling in 1689 and was known as Zacharaiah Tiffin's Regiment of Foot. The regiment was placed on the regular English Establishment in 1690, becoming the 27th Regt of Foot in July of 1751.
During the French and Indian War, the 27th Foot saw action at Ticonderoga and Crown Point, and were present at the French surrender of Montreal in 1760.
In 1761 the regiment left Nova Scotia for the West Indies, taking part in the capture of Martinique and Grenada, and the Spanish citadel of Havana in 1762.
"The recreated 27th Regiment of Foot Grenadier Company was first imagined in 1992 by a few Revolutionary War reenactors in Upstate New York and Vermont who occasionally participated in French and Indian War events as rangers seeing the need for properly outfitted British Troops. In 1997, After years of research and following many dead ends and leads to sources of supply and information, a commitment was made to recreate the 27th Foot Grenadier Company as it appeared with General Abercromby in 1758 for operations in the Champlain Valley. Two years later, in 1999 the 27th Foot made its debut appearance at the Fort Ticonderoga Grand Encampment. We took the field that year with 5 men at arms, and have grown to over a dozen officers, men and musicians with nearly 20 camp followers. The 27th Foot does not actively recruit new members, and only veteran reenactors who are willing to make very serious time and financial commitments join. After all, once youíve done a 1750ís grenadier impression, what else is there to do?" Courtesy of Jamie Parillo of the re-created 27th Reg t of Foot, Grenadier Coy.
The same badge of the castle and name, on the drums, and bells of arms.
Rank of the regiment underneath.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page