Drummer's Lace

The XVIIIth, or ROYAL IRISH had;

1st & 2nd Colours - 18th Regiment

In the center of their colours, the harp in a blue field, and the crown over
it; and in the three corners of their second colour, the lion of Nassau,
King William the Third's arms.

Also, the motto "Virtutis Namurcensis Proemium" (The rewards of valour at Namur),
recognised in the 1747 Clothing Regulations as a distinction of the 18th Regiment
for bravery at the battle of Namur in 1695.

The 18th was first raised in 1684, from independent garrison companies
in Ireland, under the Earl of Granard and was known as Granard's
Regiment of Foot. Granard's Regiment was placed on the English
Establishment in 1689. The regiment saw action under King William III
at the battle of the Boyne, and all throughout the Irish campaigns,
including the fall of Limerick. Serving with the fleet as marines, the
regiment received its first battle honor at Flanders, during the assault
on the Castle of Namur on August 20, 1695. Having won the admiration
of both King and Country, the regiment was designated the Royal Regiment
of Ireland. During the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714), the
Royal Regiment of Ireland served with distinction at Schellenburg and
Blenheim in 1704, Ramilies in 1706, Oudenarde and Lisle in 1708,
Malplaquet and Tournay in 1709 and at Bouchain in 1711.
In 1747, the regiment was ranked as the 18th Foot and became
the 18th Regiment of Foot, or Royal Irish, in July of 1751.

The 18th Regiment of Foot arrived in Philadelphia in July of 1767.
In May of 1768, the regiment was sent west to replace the 34th Foot
in garrison at Fort Pitt. The 18th Foot continued to garrison the frontier
of the 'Illinois Country' until the outbreak of the American Revolution.
The regiment took part in the fighting at Lexington and Concord on
April 19, 1775, and at the Battle of Bunker Hill on June 17, 1775.
In July of 1776, the men of the 18th Foot were drafted into
other regiments while the officers returned to England.
The 18th Regiment of Foot was reformed at Dover Castle in 1777.

In 1782, the regiment was granted the title of The Royal Irish Regiment.

18th Regiment

The harp and crown to be painted, in the same manner, on their drums,
and bells of arms, with the rank of the regiment underneath.

Evidence suggests that the drum would also have had depictions of the
lion of Nassau to the upper right, lower right, and lower left of the harp
and crown device, and "Regt XVIII" in gold leaf to the upper left.

if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page

Regimental Lace