Being one of the "Old Corps" the VIth Regiment had;
In the center of their colours, the antelope, being their ancient badge;
and in the three corners of their second colour, the rose and crown.
The 6th was raised in 1673, under Sir Walter Vane from Irish troops at Bois-le-Duc. Employed by the Dutch to fight the French, the regiment was known as Vane's Regiment of Foot. The regiment returned to England in 1688, when William of Orange came to be King. Because of the relationship with the House of Orange, the regiment earned the nickname of, 'The Dutch Guards'. At the onset of the War of Spanish Succession, the regiment captured a number of Moorish standards at Saragosa, Spain in 1701. One of these standards was adorned with an antelope. The 'antelope' is thus considered their ancient badge and was authorized by the Crown in 1743. In 1747, the regiment was ranked as the 6th Foot and became the 6th Regiment of Foot in 1751.
The 6th Foot arrived in New York in October of 1776. Being badly reduced from service in the West Indies, the men were drafted into other regiments, while the officers returned to England that December.
The 6th Regiment of Foot was granted the county title of the First Warwickshire Regiment in 1782.
The same badge of the antelope to be painted on their drums, and
bells of arms, with the rank of the regiment underneath.
Evidence suggests that the drum would also have had depictions of the
rose and crown to the upper right, lower right, and lower left of the badge of
the antelope, and "VI Regt" in gold leaf to the upper left.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page