XLIVth Regiment of Foot
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second Colour to be
the colour of the facing of the regiment, with the Union in the upper
canton; except those regiments which are faced with red, white, or black.
The 44th was first raised in 1741, under James Long, and was
known as Long's Regiment of Foot. The regiment saw action at
Prestonpans during the '45 rebellion, and Flanders in 1747.
The regiment was designated the 44th Regiment of Foot in 1751.
The 44th Foot arrived in North America in 1755 as part of the
disastrous Braddock Expedition, losing well over half its number
at the battle on the Monongahela. The 44th Foot saw action at
Ticonderoga in 1758, the fort at Niagara in 1759, and during the
expedition against Montreal in 1760. The regiment remained
in Canada until leaving for Ireland in 1765.
The 44th Regiment of Foot arrived in Boston in July of 1775.
During the battles for New York in 1776 the 44th saw action at
the Battles of Brooklyn and White Plains. In 1777, the 44th Foot
participated in the fighting at Danbury, Brandywine, Paoli, and,
Germantown seeing action again the follwing year at Monmouth
Court House. In 1779, the regiment was sent to Quebec
where they remained until returning to England in 1786.
The 44th Regiment of Foot was granted the county title
of the East Essex Regiment in 1782.
Courtesy of Terry Crabb of the re-created 44h Reg t of Foot.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page