The IVth, or KING'S OWN ROYAL REGIMENT had;
In the center of their colours, the King's cypher on a red ground within the
garter, and crown over it. In the three corners of their second colour, the
lion of England, being their ancient badge.
"This regiment was raised in 1680 and it is believed that William the 3rd
granted it the Lion. As it's 'ancient badge' it was confirmed to the
regiment by the Royal Warrant of 1st of July 1751. The title of
The Kings Own has an interesting history. In 1684 the regimental title was
'H.R.H. The Duchess of York and Albany's Regiment of Foot', however,
when the Duchess became Queen Consort in 1685 the title was altered to
'The Queen's Regiment of Foot.' With the accession of George the 1st the
title was again altered to 'His Majesty's Own Regiment of Foot,'
usually abrreviated to 'The King's Own.'"
Courtesy of Sean R. Otis of the re-created 4th Reg t of Foot.
"The Light Infantry Company of the 4th, along with that of the 10th,
was involved in the fight on Lexington green on April 19, 1775.
It was the 4th Foot's Light Infantry Company that had the first
British casualties of the war, leaving two of their company dead at
the North Bridge in Concord MA. Another private, mortally
wounded, died and was buried in the center of Concord"
Courtesy of Dave White of the re-created
4th Reg t of Foot, Company of Light Infantry.
The drums, and bells of arms, to have the King's cypher painted on them,
in the same manner, and the rank of the regiment underneath.
Evidence suggests that the drum would also have had depictions of the
lion of England to the upper right, lower right, and lower left of the
King's cypher within the garter, and "Regt IV" in gold leaf to the upper left.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page