XXIXth Regiment of Foot
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second Colour to be
the colour of the facing of the regiment, with the Union in the upper
canton; except those regiments which are faced with red, white, or black.
The 29th was first raised in 1694, during King William's War, under
Thomas Farrington and was known as Farrington's Regiment of Foot.
The regiment was short lived, being disbanded in 1698.
In 1702, during the War of Spanish Succession, Farrington's Regiment
was re-formed. The regiment first saw action in 1706, at Ramilles and
at the siege of Ostend. In 1727, the regiment distinguished itself at
Gibraltar. In 1745 the regiment was sent to Louisburg where it remained
until being sent to Nova Scotia in 1749. The regiment was fundamental
in clearing the land laying the foundations of the town of Halifax.
The regiment was designated the 29th Regiment of Foot in 1751.
The 29th Foot arrived in Boston in September of 1768. The quartering
of the regiment, coupled with their patroling duties, intensified the
tension between England and the colonists. On the evening of
March 5, 1770, a mob attacked one of their patrols, and the
resulting scuffle became known as the Boston Massacre.
The 29th returned to England in 1773. As hostilities broke out
between England and the colonies, the 29th Foot returned to
North America in May of 1776, taking part in the defense
of Quebec. In October of that year, acting as marines,
they participated in several actions on Lake Champlain.
The battalion companies of the regiment helped to garrison Quebec
during the American Revolution. The regiment's Grenadier and
Light Infantry companies served under General John Burgoyne
during the Canadian Campaign, and were with the force
that surrendered at Saratoga on September 19, 1777.
These companies remained imprisoned until re-joining the
regiment in 1781. The regiment remained in Canada until 1787.
The 29th Regiment of Foot was granted the county
title of the Worcestershire Regiment in 1782.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page