XVth Regiment of Foot
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second Colour to be
the colour of the facing of the regiment, with the Union in the upper
canton; except those regiments which are faced with red, white, or black.
The 15th Foot was raised in 1685 under Sir William Clifton, and was known as
Clifton's Regiment of Foot. In 1702, the regiment formed part of Marlborough's Army,
distinguishing itself at the battles of Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde.
The regiment was numbered the 15th Regiment of Foot in 1751 and was heavily
engaged during the French and Indian War. The 15th Foot "took the fort" at
Louisburg in 1758 and was part of General Wolfe's Army fighting on the
Plains of Abraham, above the city of Quebec, on September 13, 1759.
The 15th Regiment of Foot saw action during the defense of Quebec
and took part in the expedition against Montreal in 1760.
After Montreal, the 15th was sent to the West Indies, taking part in
the capture of Martinique and the Spanish citadel of Havana in 1762.
During the American Revolution, the 15th gained the nickname of
'The Snappers'. On September 11, 1777, at the Battle of Brandywine, the
15th ran short of ammunition. All available ammunition was given to the
'best shots,' while the remaining troops simply 'snapped' powder charges.
Perhaps it was this "ploy" which lead to the British victory.
The 15th Regiment of Foot left America in 1778, being granted the
county title of Yorkshire East Riding Regiment of Foot in 1782.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page