XIVth Regiment of Foot
In the center of each colour is to be painted, or embroidered, in gold
Roman characters, the number of the rank of the regiment, within the
wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. The second Colour to be
the colour of the facing of the regiment, with the Union in the upper
canton; except those regiments which are faced with red, white, or black.
The 14th Foot was raised in Canterbury by King James II in 1685 under
Sir Edward Hale and was known as "Hales's Regiment." The regiment first
saw action in Flanders in 1693 and gained its first battle honour during the
capture of Namur in 1695; becoming the 14th Regiment of Foot in 1751 and
being granted permission to wear the White Horse by George III in 1765.
The 14th Regiment of Foot arrived in America, from the West Indies, in
1775 and saw action at Great Bridge, Virginia in December of that year.
The regiment was sent to New York in 1776, where it remained
until returning to England in December of 1776.
The 14th Regiment of Foot was granted the county title of
the Bedfordshire Regiment in 1782.
The front [of the drums] to be painted with the colour of the facing
of the regiment, with the King's cypher and crown, and the
number of the regiment under it.
if you arrived at this page from a search engine click here to load the menu page